I hold a Ph.D. degree from COSIC of KU Leuven supervised by Prof. Bart Preneel. I also hold a master’s degree in Digital Systems Security from University of Piraeus, and an engineering degree in Information and Communication Engineering from University of the Aegean.
SnT - APSIA, University of Luxembourg
29, avenue JF Kennedy
(+352) 46 66 44 5594
Email: iraklis [dot] symeonidis [at] uni [dot] lu
PGP key: F0567427
Contact information in COSIC: iraklis [dot] symeonidis [at] esat [dot] kuleuven [dot] be
My research interests fall in the intersection between information security and privacy with a specific focus on security-by-design and privacy-by-design.
Currently, I am working on threat modeling and solutions for private information sharing considering:
- 5G, V2X, smart cities, and IoT
- Private messaging
- Online social networks
CV: Short resume
News and updates
- 19/12/2019 CFP - Special Session on Security and Privacy for 5G Networks and its Applications (SP5G) - ICISSP 2020
- 29/03/2019 Presentation of the MEDUP meeting in IETF 104, Prague, Czech Republic [Invited talk]
- 25/02/2019 "SC2Share: Smart Contract for Secure Car Sharing", ICISSP'19, Prague, Chech Republic [Paper]
- 23/01/2019 University of Manchester, Manchester, UK [Invited talk]
- 02/07/2018 Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China [Invited talk]
- 15/06/2018 IPEN Privacy Engineering Workshop, IPEN-UPC, Barcelona, Spain [Invited talk]
- 25/05/2019 imec -COSIC, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium [Ph.D. defense]
- 14/09/2017 ESORICS, Oslo, Norway [Conference presentation]
Awards and Media
- Media attention:
- Our papers, "Collateral Damage by Facebook Applications: a Comprehensive Study" and "Collateral Damage of Facebook Apps: Friends, Providers, and Privacy Interdependence", appeared in NBC News (published: 21/03/2018, title: "Researchers say it was easy to take people's data from Facebook", author: Brandy Zadrozny) and in an article of France24 (last modification: 21/03/2018). AOL re-posted the article here.
- FWO short research visit grant: Research visit at CrySyS lab and Prof. Gergely Biczók, BME University, Budapest, Hungary, I obtained an FWO travel grant to study the interdependent privacy issues of third-party applications on Facebook.
Presentations / talks
- MEDUP meeting in IETF 104, Prague, Czech Republic [slides], February 2019
- Invited talk at University of Manchester, Manchester, UK [slides], January 2019
- Invited talk at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China [slides], July 2018
- Invited talk at the IPEN Privacy Engineering Workshop, IPEN-UPC, Barcelona, Spain [slides], June 2018
- Ph.D. defense at the imec -COSIC, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium [slides], May 2018
- Paper presentation at ESORICS conference, Oslo, Norway [slides], September 2017
- Served/serving as a Program Committee member for: ICISSP 2016-2020, CPDP 2019, DPM 2019, Computers & Security 2019-2020
- External reviewer: PoPETS 2019
- Session chair: ICISSP 2016, 2020
MSc daily thesis supervisor: D. Reardon 2017/2018, A. Madhusudan 2017/2018, S. Dhooghe 2016/2017, T. Bertels 2015/2016, K. Domin 2015/2016
Research visits / stays
- Laboratory of Cryptography and System Security (CrySyS Lab), BME University, Budapest, Hungary
Supervisor: Prof. Gergely Biczók
February - March 2017
Publications (Google scholar/DBLP)
I. Symeonidis, G. Lenzini, "Systematization of threats and requirements for private messaging with untrusted servers. The case of E-mailing and instant messaging", In International Conference on Information Systems Security and Privacy (ICISSP), 10 pages, Malta, 2020
|I. Symeonidis, J. Schroers, M. A. Mustafa, and G. Biczok, "Towards Systematic Specification of Non-Functional Requirements for Sharing Economy Services," In International Workshop on Smart Circular Economy, IEEE, 7 pages, 2019.
|A. Madhusudan, I. Symeonidis, M. A. Mustafa, R. Zhang, and B. Preneel, "SC2Share: Smart Contract for Secure Car Sharing," In International Conference on Information Systems Security and Privacy, Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems Security and Privacy, 9 pages, 2019.|
I. Symeonidis, Analysis and Design of Privacy-Enhancing Information Sharing Systems, Ph.D. thesis, COSIC, KU Leuven, B. Preneel (promotor), pp. 1-222, 2018.
I. Symeonidis, G. Biczok, F. Shirazi, C. Pérez-Solà, J. Schroers, and B. Preneel, Collateral damage of Facebook third-party applications: a comprehensive study, Computers & Security 2018 (77), 179-208 pages, 2018.
I. Symeonidis, A. Aly, M. A. Mustafa, B. Mennink, S. Dhooghe, and B. Preneel, SePCAR: A Secure and Privacy-Enhancing Protocol for Car Access Provision, In European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS 2017), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, pp. 475-493, 2017.
I. Symeonidis, A. Aly, M. A. Mustafa, B. Mennink, S. Dhooghe, and B. Preneel, SePCAR: A Secure and Privacy-enhancing Protocol for Car Access Provision (Full Version), IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive 2017(039), 32 pages, 2017.
I. Symeonidis, M. A. Mustafa, and B. Preneel, Keyless Car Sharing System: A Security and Privacy Analysis, In IEEE International Smart Cities Conference (ISC2 2016). , IEEE, pp. 1 - 7, 2016.
I. Symeonidis, F. Shirazi, G. Biczok, C. Pérez-Solà, and B. Preneel, Collateral Damage of Facebook Apps: Friends, Providers, and Privacy Interdependence, In ICT Systems Security and Privacy Protection - 31st IFIP TC 11 International Conference, SEC 2016, Ghent, Belgium, May 30 - June 1, 2016, Proceedings, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 471, Springer-Verlag, pp. 193-208, 2016.
K. Domin, E. Marin, and I. Symeonidis, Security Analysis of the Drone Communication Protocol: Fuzzing the MAVLink protocol, In Proceedings of the 37th Symposium on Information Theory in the Benelux, Werkgemeenschap voor Informatie- en Communicatietheorie, 7 pages, 2016.
I. Symeonidis, P. Tsormpatzoudi, and B. Preneel, Collateral damage of Online Social Network Applications, In International Conference on Information Systems Security and Privacy, Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems Security and Privacy scitepress, 8 pages, 2016.
D. Al-Azizy, D. Millard, I. Symeonidis, K. O'Hara, and N. Shadbolt, A Literature Survey and Classifications on Data Deanonymisation, In 10th International Conference, CRiSIS 2015, Mytilene, Lesbos Island, Greece, July 20-22, 2015, Revised Selected Papers, Springer, pp. 36-51, 2015.
I. Symeonidis, P. Tsormpatzoudi, and B. Preneel, Collateral damage of Facebook Apps: an enhanced privacy scoring model, IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2015/456, 7 pages, 2015.
I. Symeonidis, SARL: A revocation mechanism for long-lived assertions on Shibboleth, COSIC Technical report, 6 pages, 2014.