My research interests fall in the intersection between information security and privacy with a specific focus on security-by-design and privacy-by-design. I am working on threat of privacy and security, and solutions for private information sharing considering:
- V2X, smart cities, and IoT
- Private messaging
- Online social networks
CV: Short resume
I hold a Ph.D. degree from COSIC of KU Leuven supervised by Prof. Bart Preneel. I also hold a master’s degree in Digital Systems Security from University of Piraeus, and an engineering degree in Information and Communication Engineering from University of the Aegean.
Email: iraklis [dot] symeonidis [at] icloud [dot] com
News and updates
- 29/03/2019 Presentation of the MEDUP meeting in IETF 104, Prague, Czech Republic [Invited talk]
- 25/02/2019 "SC2Share: Smart Contract for Secure Car Sharing", ICISSP'19, Prague, Chech Republic [Paper]
- 23/01/2019 University of Manchester, Manchester, UK [Invited talk]
- 02/07/2018 Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China [Invited talk]
- 15/06/2018 IPEN Privacy Engineering Workshop, IPEN-UPC, Barcelona, Spain [Invited talk]
- 25/05/2019 imec -COSIC, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium [Ph.D. defense]
- 14/09/2017 ESORICS, Oslo, Norway [Conference presentation]
Awards and Media
- Media attention:
- Our papers, "Collateral Damage by Facebook Applications: a Comprehensive Study" and "Collateral Damage of Facebook Apps: Friends, Providers, and Privacy Interdependence", appeared in NBC News (published: 21/03/2018, title: "Researchers say it was easy to take people's data from Facebook", author: Brandy Zadrozny) and in an article of France24 (last modification: 21/03/2018). AOL re-posted the article here.
- FWO short research visit grant: Research visit at CrySyS lab and Prof. Gergely Biczók, BME University, Budapest, Hungary, I obtained an FWO travel grant to study the interdependent privacy issues of third-party applications on Facebook.
Presentations / talks
- MEDUP meeting in IETF 104, Prague, Czech Republic [slides], February 2019
- Invited talk at University of Manchester, Manchester, UK [slides], January 2019
- Invited talk at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China [slides], July 2018
- Invited talk at the IPEN Privacy Engineering Workshop, IPEN-UPC, Barcelona, Spain [slides], June 2018
- Ph.D. defense at the imec -COSIC, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium [slides], May 2018
- Paper presentation at ESORICS conference, Oslo, Norway [slides], September 2017
Research visits / stays
- Laboratory of Cryptography and System Security (CrySyS Lab), BME University, Budapest, Hungary
Supervisor: Prof. Gergely Biczók
February - March 2017
- Served/serving as a Program Committee member for: ICISSP 2016-2021, CPDP 2019, 2021, DPM 2019, Computers & Security 2019-2020
- External reviewer: PoPETS 2019
- Session chair: ICISSP 2016, 2020
MSc daily thesis supervisor:
imec-COSIC, KU Leuven:
David De Troch 2019/2020: "dPACE, a decentralized Privacy-preserving, yet Accountable Car sharing Environment"
D. Reardon 2017/2018: "Measuring the Prevalence of Browser Fingerprinting Within Browser Extensions"
A. Madhusudan 2017/2018 : "Applying Smart Contracts to Secure Car Sharing Systems"
S. Dhooghe 2016/2017: "Applying Multiparty Computation to Car Access Provision"
T. Bertels 2015/2016: "Design of a pairing protocol for the AR.Drone 2.0"
K. Domin 2015/2016: "Security Analysis of the Drone Communication Protocol: Fuzzing the MAVLink Protocol"